Houweling Nurseries Ltd. based in 2776 64 Street, Delta, BC V4L 2N7 is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Worker, Farm who are self-motivated and have good interpersonal skills. Houweling’s Tomatoes is a world-renowned greenhouse tomato grower with locations in Camarillo, California, Mona, Utah, and Delta, British Columbia.
Houweling’s, founded by Cornelius Houweling and now led by his son Casey, is committed to providing a full complement of delectable tomatoes and cucumbers while constantly innovating to reduce its environmental footprint. Unlike many greenhouse growers, who buy from a variety of sources around the world and pack under their own name, the Houweling’s brand appears only on products grown to Houweling’s exacting standards. The beginning of Mastery Under Glass is the seed. We established a tomato and cucumber propagation operation in Delta, British Columbia, in order to maintain as much control as possible from seed selection to harvest.
It didn’t take long for other growers in the North American greenhouse industry to hear about our reputation for raising the best seedlings. Today, Houweling’s cutting-edge Delta propagation facility provides starter plants of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and eggplant to some of the industry’s most prestigious growers. The candidate who got selected will be required to start work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to Seasonal employment or Full time job. The shift timing includes Day, Weekend, Early Morning and Morning. The position of Worker, Farm has been approved by the LMIA.
Employer Name: Houweling Nurseries Ltd.
Position: Worker, Farm
No. of vacancies: 100
Salary: $15.20 hourly for 40 to 50 hours per week
Employment type: Seasonal employment, Full time
Location: 2776 64 Street, Delta, BC V4L 2N7
Type of Crops: Cucumbers, Greenhouse tomatoes
Area of Specialization: Propagation
- The candidate will be in charge of harvesting of crops.
- The candidate would be responsible in doing planting, cultivating and irrigation of crops according to schedule.
- The candidate should have knowledge and capability to operate farm machinery and equipment.
- The candidate must perform preventative and routine maintenance on farm equipment and tools.
- The candidate will be in charge of hoeing crops.
- The candidate will be required to inspect already planted crops to ensure that they are growing properly and address any prevailing issues.
- The candidate will be required to check every item to ensure farm’s standard while tossing away items that do not pass that threshold.
- The candidate will be required to monitor irrigation and soil moisture as per crop requirements.
- The candidate will be required to regularly update farm manager about crop progress.
- The candidate would be responsible in harvesting vegetables by hand.
- The candidate must report any signs of insect or disease damage.
- The candidate need to clear and maintain irrigation ditches.
- The candidate would be required to direct and monitor work of casual and seasonal help during planting and harvesting.
- The candidate should be responsible in ensuring cleanliness of the farm.
- The candidate will be required to keep an up-to-date knowledge of pests and diseases.
- The candidate would be responsible for detecting disease and health problems in crops, livestock and poultry
- The candidate would be responsible for protecting crops from weeds and pests by taking appropriate actions like spraying pesticides etc.
- The candidate should ensure uninterrupted water supply to the farm.
- The candidate will be required to regularly set and monitor water lines, air flow and temperature in barns
- The candidate should be responsible in keeping daily progress reports of the farm.
- The candidate would be responsible in culling vegetables.
- The candidate should be responsible for keeping record information such as pesticide use and yields.
- The candidate would be responsible for selecting and picking of produce according to size and ripeness and disregard rotting and over ripped produce.
- The candidate would be responsible for grading, sorting and packing of produce into containers.
- All packing and stacking duties will be performed in the field and on the farm.
- The candidate must use hands and arms to handle product.
- The candidate will be required to removes dry leaf debris from crop using both hands
- The candidate would be responsible in participating the post-harvesting stage of crops and assist in packing them securely for storage purposes.
- The candidate should examine and inspect containers, packaging material, and product to ensure that packing specifications are met.
- The candidate will be required to ensure that farm safety and bio-security procedures are followed
- The candidate must examine the quality of the product and get it ready for the market.
- The candidate should be fluent in English language
- There are no standard education requirements such as a bachelor’s degree, a certificate, or a diploma .
- Previous experience in the farming industry is not mandatory.
- Knowledge of farming best practices would be an added advantage.
- The candidate should have good communication skill.
- The candidate should have good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
- The candidate should be punctual.
- The candidate should be flexible.
- The candidate should be accountable.
- The candidate should be authentic.
- The candidate should give importance to values and ethics.
- The candidate should be a good team player with enough interpersonal and judge-mental skills.
- The candidate should be organized and flexible in nature.
- The candidate should have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- The candidate should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- The candidate should have good decision making and problem solving skills.
- The candidate will be required to do harvesting of seedlings.
- The candidate should be energetic with a positive attitude.
- The candidate should be bondable and easily communicate
- The candidate should have a thorough Criminal record check.
Landscape and Horticulture Technicians and Specialists Specific Skills
- The candidate would be responsible for cleaning crops
- The candidate should need to do regular clipping activities for plants.
- The candidate will be required to perform regular green house cleaning activity.
- The candidate will be required to perform suckering, Weeding, Grading, tying, and lowering tasks.
- The candidate will be required to do regular seed cutting in the farm.
- The candidate would be responsible for mixing fertilizer in correct proportions.
- The candidate will be required to perform the deleafing method.
Work Site Environment
- The candidate must be able to work at heights.
- The candidate will be required to work in wet or damp, dusty, hot and cold environments.
- The candidate should be willing to work in an outdoor environment for long hours, including tolerance for pests and thorns.
- For transportation, the candidate should use their own vehicle
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- The candidate should be able to work in fast-paced busy environment.
- The candidate should be willing to work under pressure
- The candidate should be required to perform repetitive tasks on frequent basis.
- The candidate should be prepared for doing physically challenging tasks as part of daily work.
- The candidate should be required to handling heavy loads as part of routine work.
- The candidate should have an eye for details.
- The candidate must have excellent hand-eye coordination.
- The candidate should have ability to distinguish between colours.
- The candidate should be willing to work for long hours in bending, crouching and kneeling positions.
- The candidate should be willing to work in sitting, standing and walking position for long hours.
- The candidate must finished the work with in the given time line.
- The candidate should ready to work overtime if needed
Work Location Information
- The candidates will be required to work in Rural area.
- The employer would not pay relocation cost to the selected candidates
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, apply through the given options.
Please include the following while sending the application
- Job reference number- 2776001
- Cover letter