Railway Car Technician ( Car Mechanic)
Canadian National Railway based in Moncton, NEW BRUNSWICK, Canada is inviting applications from suitable applicants for the position of Railway Car Technician ( Car Mechanic) who are self-motivated and have good interpersonal skills. CN is a global transportation innovator and trade enabler. Every year, CN transports more than 300 million tonnes of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America, which is critical to the economy, customers, and communities it serves. CN offers opportunities for skilled tradespeople who want to keep learning and growing their careers in a team-oriented, safety-focused environment.
Working on cutting-edge equipment and train cars that transport freight from coast to coast, you’ll be proud to know you’re a part of what keeps the economy running. You’ll also be able to advance your skills with paid training. The careers we offer at CN are meaningful because the work we do is important. The candidate who got selected will be required to start work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to Permanent employment or Part time job.
Employer Name: Canadian National Railway
Position: Railway Car Technician ( Car Mechanic)
No. of vacancies: 8
Salary: $29.50/ hour
Employment type: Permanent employment, Part time
Location: Moncton, NEW BRUNSWICK, Canada
- The Car Mechanic Apprentice is in charge of inspecting, maintaining, building, and repairing railway freight cars and equipment in accordance with Federal and CN regulations.
- Until they have graduated to Journey Car Mechanic, the incumbent is considered a Car Mechanic Apprentice (refer to training description below).
- The candidate will be expected to inspect cars and components in accordance with railroad associations, FRA regulations, and company operating standards.
- The candidate will be required to perform all scheduled, on-demand, and preventive maintenance and repair on rail cars, underframes, structures, safety appliances, draught systems, and any associated tests.
- The candidate will be required to repair and install railway car parts such as compressors, air valves, bearings, couplings, air cylinders, and piping.
- The candidate will be required to use hand tools, power tools, welding equipment, cutting torches, and measuring instruments.
- The candidate must be able to operate transportation vehicles such as cranes, trucks, track mobiles, and shop equipment.
- The candidate will be responsible for preparing inspection, maintenance, and work reports, as well as recording details on prescribed forms in accordance with established procedures.
- The candidate will be expected to diagnose and identify flaws.
- The candidate should be fluent in English or French language.
- The candidate should have minimum qualification of High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Previous welding experience obtained through formal training or work experience is an asset.
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old.
- The candidate must fulfil all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position, including safety requirements.
- The candidate should have valid driver’s licence
- The candidate should be a good team player with enough interpersonal and judge-mental skills.
- The candidate should be organized and flexible in nature.
- The candidate should be punctual.
- The candidate should be dependable.
- The candidate should be reliable.
- The candidate should give importance to values and ethics.
- The candidate should have excellent customer service skills.
- The candidate should have good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
- The candidate should have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- The candidate should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- The candidate should be accurate
- The candidate should have strong diagnostic skills
- The candidate should be self-motivated and capable of identifying and completing necessary tasks without direct supervision
- The candidate should have the ability to work quickly without compromising quality
- The candidate should have good problem- solving skills
- The candidate should be able to work independently, adapt to different situations, and manage stress.
- The candidate should be energetic with a positive attitude
- The candidate should have strong verbal, reading comprehension, and writing abilities.
- The candidate should be committed to getting the job done while adhering to established quality, safety, and client satisfaction standards.
- The candidate should be knowledgeable about electrical and electronic tools and instruments.
- The candidate must be able to assess the condition of objects and parts for wear and defects.
- The ideal candidate will have vocational and technical training as well as knowledge of railroad operating rules.
- The candidate should have basic computer skills.
- Over a three-week period of 40 hours per week, the candidate receives on-the-job training that includes both theoretical and practical instruction.
- Depending on the candidate’s level of experience, a 4-year on-the-job CN specific apprenticeship programme with a series of courses at their work location in Canada may be required.
- Rail car components, inspection, single car tests, special commodities Level 2, freight car repairs, jacking procedures, railway welding, aerial lifts, yard operating rules, and other job-related topics are covered in the training.
- This training must be completed successfully in order to perform duties in the future.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- The candidate should be able to work in fast-paced busy environment.
- The candidate should be willing to work under pressure
- The candidate should be required to perform repetitive tasks on frequent basis.
- The candidate should be prepared for doing physically challenging tasks as part of daily work.
- The candidate should be required to handling heavy loads as part of routine work.
- The candidate should have an eye for details.
- The candidate must have excellent hand-eye coordination.
- The candidate must be willing to work shifts, weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime as needed.
- The candidate must be willing to work in an outdoor environment with varying weather and environmental conditions.
- The candidate must be willing to bend, stoop, squat, and kneel for long periods of time.
- The candidate must be willing to do overhead work.
- The candidate must be capable of lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and, on occasion, up to 85 pounds (39 kg).
- The candidate must be willing to work outside of their assigned terminal.
- The candidate will be required to climb, balance, and grasp frequently.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, apply through the given options.