Canadian Pacific Railway based in Saskatoon, SK is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Train Conductor who are self-motivated and have good interpersonal skills. The Canadian Pacific Railway is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States that connects major ports on both the west and east coasts. CP offers North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets around the world. CP is expanding alongside its customers, providing a full range of freight transportation services, logistics solutions, and supply chain expertise. We are a railroad operating company with a team of dedicated, professional, community-minded railroaders who strive to provide superior service to our customers by doing what we say we will do.
Three core values guide CP’s culture: accountability, diversity, and pride. These values guide our actions, foster respect, and motivate us on our quest for excellence. Our people are the engine that propels our expansion; our culture is the fuel. Are you looking for a new and exciting job? Train Conductor is the ideal career for you. As a Train Conductor, you will begin your rewarding long-term career at CP. The candidate who got selected will be required to start work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to Permanent employment and Full time job.
Employer Name: Canadian Pacific Railway
Position: Train Conductor
No. of vacancies: 7
Salary: $107,000-$140,000/ Annually
Employment type: Permanent employment, Full time
Location: Saskatoon, SK
- The candidate will be expected to work as a member of a train crew, assisting with car switching, making or splitting up trains in yards, or moving cars between yards, sidings, or tracks.
- Depending on their seniority, the candidate will be required to work in either train or yard service.
- The candidate will be required to carry out specific instructions detailing the route and movements of a train.
- The candidate must be capable of handling car switching, including coupling and uncoupling, as well as lifting out coupling devices.
- The candidate will be expected to observe, interpret, and relay signals and other indications affecting train movement.
- The candidate will be expected to signal crew members for engine or train movement by using specific signals or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back up, set or release air brakes.
- In an emergency, the candidate will be required to provide flag protection and relay signals to trains, as specified in the operating rules.
- The candidate will be required to move on and off moving or stationary equipment while the train is performing industrial, station, or yard switching.
- The candidate will be required to ride in a moving car while holding onto grab irons or a ladder for extended periods of time.
- The candidate will be required to fill out forms such as train orders and switch lists, as well as prepare clear and legible reports.
- The candidate will be required to work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights, and for periods of up to 12 hours.
- The candidate must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take appropriate, safe, and responsible action.
- The candidate will be responsible for separating or adding extra train cars as directed.
- The candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all passengers have valid train tickets and accepting payments from passengers who wish to purchase tickets.
- The candidate will be expected to work with railroad engineers, yardmasters, and new hires to coordinate daily activities such as task delegation and employee training.
- The candidate will be expected to keep an eye on onboard activities in order to maintain order and control.
- The candidate will be responsible for noting and reporting any problems with the train’s interior that may jeopardise passenger safety and comfort.
- The candidate will be responsible for supervising passenger boarding and exiting from the train.
- While onboard each train, the candidate will be required to enter information about the destination, cargo contents, or passenger manifesto into a computer database.
- The candidate will be expected to ensure that all safety regulations are followed onboard and with the train’s records, as well as to assist passengers during evacuation or other emergency procedures.
- The candidate should be fluent in English language.
- The candidate must have a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma as a minimum qualification (GED)
- The ideal candidate will have 3 to 5 years of work experience and a track record of safe work.
- The ideal candidate should have a valid full/graduated driver’s licence with no restrictions.
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old.
- The candidate must have demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- The candidate should be self-disciplined and trusted to work independently, as well as capable of working with minimal supervision.
- The candidate must be able to take action and/or make decisions that affect the security/well-being of others, such as alerting others to dangerous conditions.
- The candidate must have good spatial ability in terms of layout and space, as well as the ability to judge the speed and/or distance of moving objects.
- The candidate must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- The candidate should be a good team player with enough interpersonal and judge-mental skills.
- The candidate must be willing to work weekends and shifts and be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week with two hours’ notice depending on location (with exception of Annual Vacation)
- The candidate will be required to work long hours away from home.
- The candidate must be able to pass the required examinations, as well as read and comprehend safety instructions, rulebooks, instructions and regulations, timetables, bulletins, waybills, placards, and other written or printed material.
- The candidate must be willing to work in inclement weather.
- The candidate must be able to lift up to 80 pounds.
- The candidates must be able to cross the United States border for work purposes.
- Candidates must be able to obtain a passport.
- The candidate should be organized and flexible in nature.
- The candidate should be punctual.
- The candidate should be accountable.
- The candidate should be authentic.
- The candidate should be reliable.
- The candidate should give importance to values and ethics.
- The candidate should have excellent customer service skills.
- The candidate should be Customer-oriented and friendly.
- The candidate should have the ability to work quickly without compromising quality.
- The candidate should have a thorough Criminal record check.
- The candidate should have good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
- The candidate should have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- The candidate should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- The candidate should be energetic with a positive attitude
- The candidate should have strong problem solving and decision-making skills.
- The candidate should have excellent eye-hand coordination and hearing.
- The candidate should be well-versed in railway procedures.
- The candidate should be bondable and easily communicate
- The candidate must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment
- The candidate should be willing to work under pressure.
- The candidate should be required to perform repetitive tasks on frequent basis.
- The candidate should have an eye for details.
- The candidate should be prepared for doing physically challenging tasks as part of daily work.
- The candidate should be required to handling heavy loads as part of routine work.
- The candidate should be willing to work in standing position for extended periods.
- The selected candidates will receive a competitive benefits package, a competitive company pension plan, and an annual fitness subsidy.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, apply through the given options