Ontario Public Service based in 181 Elm Street West, Sudbury, ON P3C 1T8 is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of Maintenance Mechanic who are self-motivated and have good interpersonal skills. The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the province’s largest employers, offering a diverse range of exciting career opportunities. We value trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency, and responsiveness as core values. We are committed to being a first-choice employer by fostering a positive and inclusive work environment. The candidate who got selected will be required to start work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to Permanent employment or Full time job. The shift schedules include Shift and On Call.
Employer Name: Ontario Public Service
Position: Maintenance Mechanic
No. of vacancies: 1
Salary: $26.83 hourly for 40 hours per week
Employment type: Permanent employment or Full time
Location: 181 Elm Street West, Sudbury, ON P3C 1T8
Major Work Area: Service, Repair, Maintenance, Machine set-up, Machinery installation
- The candidate would be responsible for reading, interpreting blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications and adhering to instructions and operating manuals
- The candidate will be responsible for operating, troubleshooting, replacing, repairing, and maintaining all heating, ventilation, and fire systems, as well as associated electromechanical devices and subsystems.
- The candidate will be required to use a computer to check and repair air conditioning and boiler systems.
- The candidate will be expected to check the boiler room on a daily basis, as well as the refrigeration system and perform chemical tests.
- The candidate will be responsible for replacing and cleaning air and roll media filters, as well as lubricating and tightening belts as needed.
- The candidate will be responsible for repairing and maintaining tubular steel furniture, water tanks, power plant equipment, security screens, steel structures, and security and non-security locks.
- The candidate will be expected to perform emergency repairs in the absence of other maintenance personnel and to assist plumbers and electricians as needed.
- The candidate will be expected to complete and keep accurate logs and records.
- The candidate will be required to check plumbing and performing some maintenance where possible (i.e. repair or replacing taps, toilets, and water lines; unplugging sinks, drains, sewage lines and traps, etc.)
- The candidate will be required to perform minor electrical maintenance (i.e. changing bulbs, fuses, switches, fixtures; cleaning and servicing electrical motors, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers etc.).
- The candidate will be required to clean, oil, adjust, and installing locks.
- The candidate will be required to patch cracks and plaster, brick or cement and painting.
- The candidate would be in charge of detecting flaws through observation including visual inspections, listening for irregular noises and conducting scheduled testing as appropriate.
- The candidate will be required to follow safety rules and regulations.
- The candidate will be required to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- The candidate would be in charge of developing and implementing a preventative maintenance schedule for inspecting, servicing, and testing machinery.
- The candidate would be responsible for operating a variety of hand and power tools.
- The candidate would be in charge of assembling, installing, and maintaining mechanical systems, machinery, and equipment.
- The candidate would be in charge of ensuring that health and safety regulations are followed.
- The candidate will be responsible for troubleshooting machinery and performing routine preventative maintenance.
- The candidate must be able to collaborate effectively with other team members in a noisy environment.
- The candidate will be expected to select appropriate materials based on mechanical requirements.
- In the event of an emergency, the candidate must respond quickly, notify appropriate personnel, and adhere to safety protocols.
- The candidate will be expected to keep an inventory of repair tools and supplies
- The candidate will be expected to read and follow work orders pertaining to the service, modification, or installation of machinery.
- The candidate will be responsible for training and instructing staff and inmate helpers, as well as ensuring their safety, welfare, and custody by conducting periodic counts, searches, reminding inmates of rules and regulations, issuing warnings and minor infractions, and filing major charges with appropriate reports.
- The candidate should be fluent in English language.
- The candidate should have minimum qualification of Other trades certificate or diploma or equivalent experience.
- Candidate having experience is an asset
- The candidate should be a good team player with enough interpersonal and judge-mental skills.
- The candidate should be organized and flexible in nature.
- The candidate should be punctual.
- The candidate should be dependable.
- The candidate should be reliable.
- The candidate should give importance to values and ethics.
- The candidate should have good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
- The candidate should have excellent oral and written communication.
- The candidate should have ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance.
- The candidate should be well-versed in pneumatics, hydraulics, and mechanics.
- The candidate should have good analytical and problem solving skills
- The candidate must have excellent hand-eye coordination.
- The candidate should be mechanically inclined and capable
- The candidate should be capable of troubleshooting.
- The candidate should be well-versed in health and safety regulations.
- The candidate should be able to act competently in an emergency.
- The candidate should have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- The candidate should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- The candidate should be energetic with a positive attitude.
- The candidate should have the ability to work quickly without compromising quality.
Equipment and Machinery Experience
- The candidate should be well-versed in and capable of using a variety of power and hand tools, such as hosts and grinders, to complete assigned maintenance tasks and work orders.
- The candidate will be required to work in Correctional facility.
Security and Safety
- The candidate should have a thorough Criminal record check.
- The candidate should be bondable and easily communicate
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- The candidate must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment
- The candidate should be willing to work under pressure.
- The candidate should be required to perform repetitive tasks on frequent basis.
- The candidate should be required to handling heavy loads as part of routine work.
- The candidate should have an eye for details.
- The candidate should be prepared for doing physically challenging tasks as part of daily work.
- The candidate should ready to work overtime if needed
- The candidate should be willing to work in standing position for long hours.
- The candidate should be willing to work for long hours in bending, crouching and kneeling positions
- Health, Long term, Financial and other benefits would be provided to the selected candidates.
- Under Health Benefits, the selected candidates would get Health care plan, Disability benefits, Dental plan, Vision care benefits and Paramedical services coverage
- Under Long term benefits, the selected candidates would get Group insurance benefits, Life insurance, Pension plan and Maternity and parental benefits
- Under Financial benefits, the selected candidates would get benefits as per collective agreement.
- In addition to the above mentioned health, financial and long term benefits the selected candidates would get other benefits in the form Free parking facilities
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, apply through the given options.
Please include the following while sending the application
- Job reference number- 180997
- Cover letter