CNC (computer numerical control) machinist
Optima Manufacturing Inc. based in Calgary, AB is inviting applications from suitable candidates for the position of CNC (computer numerical control) machinist who are self-motivated and have good interpersonal skills. Optima Manufacturing has recently expanded its headquarters in Calgary, putting it in the heart of the country’s oil and gas industry. Optima was founded in 1990 by five experienced principals who shared a passion for high-quality design, precision machining, and assembly. Optima Manufacturing is committed to providing the highest quality close-tolerance machining and precision assembly services. Aerospace, oil and gas, environmental control, agriculture, and telecommunications are just a few of the industries that use our parts.
Gauging equipment such as a coordinate measuring machine, optical comparators, and surface and hardness testers are used to maintain quality. The company also takes pride in running an efficient, open organisation with company-sponsored continuous-learning programmes to keep employees abreast of the rapid changes and improvements made possible by the application of technology. The candidate who got selected will be required to start work as soon as possible. The vacancies refer to Permanent employment or Full-time job. The shift timings include Day, Evening and Night
Employer Name: Optima Manufacturing Inc.
Position: CNC (computer numerical control) machinist
No. of vacancies: 3
Salary: $19.00 to $29.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
Employment type: Permanent employment, Full time
Location: Calgary, AB
- The candidate will be required to read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints, charts and tables
- The candidate would be in charge of fitting and assembling components and machine parts to tight tolerances.
- The candidate would be in charge of recording and reporting deviations from specifications and tolerances.
- The candidate will be required to use precision measuring instruments to verify the dimensions of machined parts (e.g., micrometres, callipers)
- The candidate will be required to set up and adjust production machinery or tools.
- The candidate must compute dimensions and tolerances, as well as to measure and layout workpieces.
- The candidate must be able to set up, operate, and maintain a variety of traditional and computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools.
- The candidate will be required to use precision measuring instruments to check the dimensions of products for accuracy and conformance to specifications.
- The candidate would be responsible for repairing machine tools and parts
- The candidate must maintain, repair, and calibrate precision measuring instruments.
- The candidate will be expected to keep inspection records and submit inspection reports.
- The candidate would be in charge of gathering data from all available sources.
- The candidate would be responsible for welding and drafting.
- The candidate will be required to control machines and processes.
- The candidate will be expected to inspect equipment, structures, materials, and products.
- The candidate would be in charge of analysing data and determining the best solutions to problems.
- The candidate would be responsible for maintaining constant clear and honest communication.
- The candidate would be in charge of keeping the workplace safe.
- The candidate would be in charge of learning and applying the most recent relevant knowledge to the job.
- The candidate would be in charge of measuring, marking, and scribing dimensions and reference points on material or workpiece as guides for subsequent machining as needed.
- The candidate would be in charge of selecting, aligning, and securing holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines as needed to machine parts.
- The candidate will be required to calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media according to established guidelines and procedures.
- The candidate would be in charge of setting up and operating the machine on a trial run to ensure that the machine settings or programmed control data are accurate.
- The candidate would be in charge of starting and monitoring machine operation for malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, as well as adjusting machine controls or control media as needed.
- The candidate would be in charge of performing daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance tasks to ensure the longevity of the machine, such as lubrication, cleaning, and tool replacement.
- The candidate would be in charge of overseeing the cutting process, making adjustments as needed during each operation, catching errors as they occur, and taking the appropriate steps to eliminate them.
- The candidate would be in charge of inspecting all finished products for accuracy and uniformity in order to ensure product quality and maintain the company’s reputation.
- The candidate would be in charge of taking inventory, which includes checking stock to determine the amount available, anticipating stock, and placing orders.
- The candidate would be in charge of ensuring that operations are safe by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- The candidate would be in charge of planning the sequence of actions required to complete a job.
- The candidate would be in charge of monitoring output to ensure consistency with specifications and the elimination of defects.
- The candidate should be fluent in English language.
- The candidate should have minimum qualification of Registered Apprenticeship certificate
- The ideal candidate should have a minimum 2 to 3 years of working experience in similar industry.
- The candidate must have 4th Period Apprentice, 1st Period Apprentice, 2nd Period Apprentice, 3rd Period Apprentice, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) Certificate, Machinist Trade Certification and Machinist Red Seal Endorsment Certificate
- The candidate must able to handle weight up to 9 kg (20 lbs)
- The candidate should have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- The candidate should have strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- The candidate should be organized and flexible in nature.
- The candidate should give importance to values and ethics.
- The candidate should have excellent oral and written communication.
- The candidate should be punctual.
- The candidate must be able to take the initiative and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
- The candidate should be accountable.
- The candidate should be reliable.
- The candidate must have excellent hand-eye coordination.
- The candidate should have a good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
- The candidate should be accurate.
- The candidate should be energetic with a positive attitude
- The candidate should have the ability to work quickly without compromising quality
- The candidate must be self-motivated
- The candidate should be able to troubleshoot effectively.
Equipment and Machinery Experience
- The candidate must be able to use Universal grinders, Tool grinders, Tapping machines, Surface grinders, Screw machines, Milling machines, Drill presses, Computer numerical control (CNC) machines, Boring machines, Automatic lathes, Conventional, Electrical discharge machines (EDM), Lapping machine, Honing machines, Sawing machine, and Computer-aided design (CAD)
- The candidate will be required to work in the General Manufacturing sector.
Security and Safety
- The candidate should be bondable and easily communicate.
- The candidate should have a thorough Criminal record check.
- The candidate should have a clean driving record with no at-fault accidents or traffic citations
- Candidates are required to wear steel-toed safety boots, Safety equipment or gear, Safety glasses or goggles and Gloves
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- The candidate should be able to work in a fast-paced busy environment.
- The candidate should be willing to work under pressure
- The candidate should be required to perform repetitive tasks on a frequent basis.
- The candidate should be prepared for doing physically challenging tasks as part of daily work.
- The candidate should be required to handle heavy loads as part of routine work.
- The candidate should have an eye for details.
- The candidate should be willing to work standing position for extended periods.
- The candidate must finish the work within the given timeline.
- The candidate should be ready to work overtime if needed.
- The candidate must be able to use precise measuring tools such as gauges, micrometres, callipers, Calibre and Verniers.
- Health, Long term, Financial and other benefits would be provided to the selected candidates.
- Under Health Benefits, the selected candidates would get a Health care plan, Disability benefits, Dental plan, Vision care benefits and Paramedical services coverage
- Under Long term benefits, the selected candidates would get Group insurance benefits, Life insurance, a Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) and Other benefits
- Under Financial benefits, the selected candidates would get Bonus.
- In addition to the above-mentioned health, financial and long term benefits the selected candidates would get other benefits in the form of free parking facilities, Paid time off (volunteering or personal days) and Team building opportunities
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, apply through the given options.